Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homestyle White Bread


Homestyle White Bread (with Maddie's finger pointing to her slice!)
I made a black bean minestrone style soup for lunch and wanted some bread to go with it.  I measured the dry ingredients the night before, so all I had to do in the morning was add the wet ingredients, top with the dry ingredients, and nestle the yeast right on top.  I had the girls help me add the honey, so more than the recommended amount went in.  It made a sweeter bread as a result and was still very tasty.  But, if you want a more traditional white bread, you can cut back on a Tablespoon of honey or sugar. 

We have quite a bit of leftovers, and I think this will make perfect French Toast or possibly bread pudding (if I have all the ingredients).  I will most definitely make this easy, versatile loaf again!

Homestyle White Bread (2 lb. loaf)
1 1/2 cups water
2 Tbsp. honey
2 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces

4 cups bread flour
3 Tbsp. nonfat dry milk
2 Tbsp. wheat germ
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. gluten
2 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. yeast

No comments:

Post a Comment