Friday, March 2, 2012

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough



As we've been doing pizza once a week, I've had the hankering to try new different dough recipes.  The nice aspect of the bread machine is that it makes a pretty small portion (about four small pizzas), so if it's no good, I don't have to dread having it the next week.

This recipe is a basic whole wheat recipe (although, as you can see, not entirely).  Whole wheat flour tends to make the dough harder to roll out, which means the greater possibility of holes.  And that was definitely the case!  It was a lot more challenging to get the "perfect" circle and I had to do some patchwork along the way. 
With this dough, I made 2 pepperoni pizzas, a ham and pineapple, and a BBQ chicken with Gouda cheese and cilantro.  I noticed I used more sauce and toppings than the other pizza dough I use, since it is a bit heartier and thicker.

Would I make it again?  Probably - although I might try some variations...add 1 Tbsp. of honey, for instance.  The BBQ Chicken was the best of all, the nutty flavor the whole wheat really complimented the red onions, ciliantro, and gouda.  I think for traditional pizzas (anything with red sauce), I'll opt for the tried and true favorite. But, for more exotic flavors, like BBQ or even alfredo sauce, I would do the whole wheat again.  And besides, it is better for you.

Basic Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
1 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. yeast 

Add ingredients according to your bread machine.  Set on Dough cycle.  Once the cycle is complete, take out dough and divide it into desired number of portions (2 12" thin crust, 1 9x13" thick crust in a rectangular pan, 4-6 individual crusts).  Cover with oiled plastic wrap or damp towel for at least 30 minutes to allow to rise (I let it rise for almost 2 hours and it doubled in size!).  You can store the dough in the fridge for about a day or freeze up to 3 months!

To make the pizzas:
  • Place dough on parchments (sprinkled with flour or corn meal)
  • Add your toppings
  • Put olive oil around the crust, and lightly salt with course sea salt
  • Put parchment on a pizza stone or pre-heated pan at 500F as 13 minutes
What are some of your favorite pizza toppings?

No comments:

Post a Comment