Monday, February 27, 2012

Irish Potato Brown Bread


I had a hankering for grilled cheese and wanted to try a new recipe, but one that seemed like good sandwich bread (that would absorb lots of lots of butter!).  I found this recipe in the cookbook I tend to use (it's a behemoth, but tons of ideas/recipes to work from), did a quick ingredients check (yes, yes, yes!), and tried it.  Here's the recipe:

Irish Potato Brown Bread (2 lb. loaf)
1 2/3 cups water
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. honey

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1/3 cup instant potato flakes
2 Tbsp. gluten
2 tsp. salt

2 1/2 tsp. yeast

I have never made bread with instant potato flakes before, and I've seen several recipes call for it.  And now I know why - the whole wheat + the potato flakes are a great combination - hearty and moist!  A nice version of honey wheat bread.

I can already tell that it's not a bread that will last too long.  But thankfully, between grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and I used it to dip in my Pasta Fagoli soup that night, there's only a couple slices left for the next day (think breakfast toast!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment