Thursday, February 16, 2012

Italian Whole Wheat Flatbread...molto gustoso!

Here's a dough recipe that I tried for the first time today.  Why dough and not a complete loaf out of the bread machine?  Honestly, I ran out of time.  I had great intentions of making a great dipping bread for dinner tonight (angel hair pasta with homemade sauce with ground turkey).  Then, 4 p.m. rolled around and I didn't have 3 hours and 45 minutes to make something.  I flipped through The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger and this popped out - easy ingredients and ready fairly quick, in about 2 1/2 hours (which I had!).  And, I really liked the idea of using whole wheat flour.  Here's the recipe:

Italian Whole Wheat Flatbread
2/3 cup water
1 cup milk (I had whole)
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp yeast

Add ingredients - set to Dough cycle (1 hour, 50 minutes in my machine).  Once the dough is finished, roll out into a 15x10x1 inch oiled metal pan (I had Pyrex).  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for an hour. 

Okay, I'm going to pause here.  First, I got home about 10 minutes after the Dough Cycle was finished and the dough rose so much that it actually looked like a loaf in the viewing window.  I couldn't imagine it rising any more...so I took it out (very wet dough) and rolled it out, dimpled it with a spoon, drechned it with olive oil, sea salt, and sprinking half of it with Italian seasoning (thinking the girls wouldn't like the specs of spices!):


It "rested" for maybe 15 minutes...while the oven preheated.  I baked for 20 minutes at 425, and turned out nice and golden brown (see above).

Did you see how much more it rose?  This wasn't flatbread at all...but ended up becoming the good dipping bread I was aspiring to originally!  This was really easy to make, and we have a lot leftover after everyone in the family - even the girls - had their share (I think croutons are in this loaf's future).   
I think there's a lot more opportunity to be  reallycreative with this - I'd say more sea salt (I probably only used a couple teaspoons), more spices (even adding some to the dough), and if you wanted it flatter, 1/2 tsp less of yeast.  Maybe even olives and rosemary.  Or, cheese melted on top.  All in all - it's a winner and something I can go to if I don't have the time to do a whole cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment