Friday, February 10, 2012

Let them eat cake! Using the bread machine!


Let me preface by saying I've never made a cake using a bread machine.  In fact, I'm not much of a baker...not because I don't want to be, but because I eat all of it.  Thankfully, I have a husband who has an office full of hungry men - so I can start pawning baked goodies onto him. 

This recipe comes from the Zojirushi booklet that came with the bread machine, so I'm anticipating it will be tasty (as all the recipes I've tried in that booklet - including Simple White Bread and the pizza dough - have all been fabulous).  Here's the recipe (using the "Cake" cycle):

Dutch Apple Cake
3 Large Eggs, Beaten
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil (I used Canola)
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract (I ran out...so used some honey)
2 cups All Purpose Flour
3 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Allspice
2 tsp. Cinnamon

When beep sounds, add 1 1/2 cups Peeled and Chopped Apple (which I lightly tossed in flour to help it stay suspended).  In 2 hours, you've got cake!

How did it taste?  Pretty great - has a banana bread consistency, but with apples.  A great breakfast sweet "bread" - not sure I'd really call it cake.  I put some butter on a slice and it was even better.  Again, 3/4 of my family agreed (Maddie is a tough one to please!).

No comments:

Post a Comment