Thursday, February 9, 2012

When the moon hits your eye. Like a big-a pizza pie. That's amore.

We started a tradition of having pizza each week...okay, so it's only happened twice, but it's anticipated to a be tradition!  3/4 of the family likes it (Maddie isn't much of a fan of any foods that are combined), and it's really easy to make...especially when you have veggies or meats that are going out of style in the fridge.  I've never been a big fan of the store bought pizza dough, and while I don't mind getting pizza out in town once in awhile, you can beat the cost (and flavor) of making it at home. 

Did I mention it's an easy meal to clean up too? 

The Dough
1 1/4 cups Water
1 1/2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
3 3/4 cups Bread Flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast

Put in the bread machine...2 hours later...Voila - you've got dough!  I break it up into four pieces, and it makes 4 10" pizzas, medium crust.  It's a bit tough to work with once it gets out of the bread machine, so I tend to make the dough around lunchtime and then wrap up in plastic wrap until I'm ready to make it that evening.  It's also really easy to freeze...put the plastic wrapped dough in the freezer, pop up the morning you want to make it.

Now the sauce...I got this recipe from a cooking class I attended last year, and I'll never buy pizza sauce again. 

Homemade Pizza Sauce:
1 28 oz. Can of Crushed Tomatoes
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
2 tsp. Italian Seasoning (I used Pasta Sprinkle from Penzey's)
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder (or 5 cloves fresh, minced)
1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar

Add ingredients in a food processor (we have a Vita-mix), and blend.  It's good in the fridge for a week or so.  It makes a lot, so what I did was divided in 1/2 cup portions and put it in the freezer.  1/2 cup is good for about 2-3 pizzas.

My husband's favorite is pepperoni and sausage and mushrooms with thin crust.  I personally am a fan of the thicker crust and more obscure ingredients - last night I made it with dried figs, cremini mushrooms, mozzarella, and basil.  Magnificent!

No comments:

Post a Comment