Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Leftover stale bread...now what?

I have to admit, I have a bad track record with stale bread.  I'll make it for a specific meal (say as an accompanyment for soup) and maybe toast the next morning.  Then, I forget about it.  One resolution of starting this blog is to make sure I use my bread until the entire loaf is gone!  For example, here's what happened with what I've made this past week:
  • White bread - First it was used to dip in chicken noodle soup, then made grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch
  • Pizza Dough - Made four dough balls - used two for dinner, the other two went into the freezer to be used laster this week
  • Dutch Apple Cake - Still eating it!  It's delicious and not stale at all...maybe there's 1 or 2 slices left and they will be gone by the morning.
For inspiration, this site on raising a family on a budget has a lot of great ideas for leftover bread, including:
  • Bread Crumbs
  • Croutons
  • French Toast
  • Bread Pudding
  • Stuffing/Dressing
  • Breakfast Casseroles & Stratas
  • Use as a base when making a meatloaf.
What do you do with your leftover bread?

No comments:

Post a Comment